Tuesday, December 29, 2009

An ode to my Gusser Bear

I don't even know where to begin about Gus.
I fell in love with him the first minute I saw him 4 1/2 years ago as a 4 month old waddling down the sidewalk to me and I picked him up and held him in my arms and knew we were perfect together.
He was so small with such big ears and short legs. His little feet went outwards and didn't touch just like mine. He has stomach issues as a puppy just like I do. We were meant to be.
He could not have come into my life at a better time. I had just graduated college was living with my boyfriend and was miserable. Gus and I moved into our own apartment and he chewed through every corner on every window sill, tore up the carpet, laid on the bed and gnawed on my the back of my bathrobe every morning when I sat down to put on my makeup, and I couldn't have loved him more. I sang to him, was always happy to get home and see him and we were happy.

After my year lease was up, I decided we needed a house, he needed a backyard and a friend to keep him company, Luckily Sophie was the dog of the lady I bought my house from and she sold her to me with the house because she couldn't take her. Gus bit Sophie on her snout the first time he met her and then they were inseparable. They were brother and sister through and though.
Gus followed me every where, no matter what time I went to bed or woke up he did too. I never imagined being without him.


Last week my Gus got sick, I took him to the vet where they proceeded to give him blood transfusions, and IVs with fluids but his little body was just not strong enough. I rolled over at 3 am on Christmas morning to pet him and he was gone. I held his little body in bed for over an hour crying, petting him and telling him how much I loved him and missed him. The vet thinks the sickness was caused by his previous Lepto illness in February and in August he got his annual vaccinations with may have triggered this immune disorder, his body was attacking his red blood cells and the red blood cells from the infusions. He wasn't eating, lethargic and just not my Gus.

I have never loved anything or anyone as much as I do Gus.
Gus will always be a part of my life, and I will never be able to replace him or the hole in my heart that was created when he died.
I will forever miss my baby dog.
















Gus King

04/15/05-12/25/09

I will love you forever Gusser Bear.

1 comment: